Enough with the history posts, here is what we’ve been working on for what seems like forever: demolition.  Probably 10 pickup truck loads to the dump by now.  One of the earlier tasks was removing the wall between the kitchen and living room and plaster ceiling on the 1st floor:

Removing the wall looking from the back door to the front.

Removing the wall looking from the front door toward the back door.

We also decided to expose the brick on the party wall.  A mountain of plaster was removed to do this.  The mortar looks good enough that we’re considering not pointing it, but rather cleaning it up with a wire brush and sealing it.  If you look closely, you can see we decided to keep some of the wall paper designs on the kitchen wall.

Pictures of little tea pots, clocks, flowers and beer steins.  They’re just too cute to destroy.

They’ve survived since maybe the 1940s; hopefully they will last through the rest of the renovation.  The plan is to clean them up and place frames over them.

A wider view of the wall shows just how nice of condition the bricks are in.

Final clean and sealing of the wall will need to wait though.  We’ve got bigger fish to fry in the coming weeks.  Stay tuned.